CAREER EPISODE 1
1.1 This career episode is based on the project which was presented in the technical seminar arranged by the IARE (Institute of Aeronautical Engineering) in collaboration with the Department of Aeronautical Engineering, Hyderabad, India. The project was entitled “Aircraft Thermal Analysis”, and I worked on this project to fulfill the requirement of my bachelor’s degree. The project was commenced in Month/Year and completed in Month/Year.
1.2 From the past few years,the thermal management of the aircraft has gained a lot of importance because of the following main reason:
- To provide a comfortable ambient environment to crew and passengers
- To allow airplane systems and cargo to operate in an acceptable operating environment
- To protect aircraft structures from thermal threats.
On top of that, the management is also required to ensure that both crew & passengers are neither too cold nor too hotirrespective of the OAT (Outdoor Ambient Temperature), which can beover 70◦C throughout a flight. The extensive research on commercial aircraft showed that due to poor temperature control in the cabin a lot of issues have been encountering by the passengers and it eventually causing a loss of valuable customers and a drastic reduction in theannual revenue for an airline. In addition to this, in military aircraft, it has been found that the distressof pilotsbecause of extremely poor control of temperature can negatively impact crew performance.Therefore, based on these identified problems, it was decided to carry out an aircraft thermal management toensure the occupant’s comfort plusthe safety of the structural operation and systems to gain longevity in normal operation, as well as survival during any failure. In this project, a thermal analysis was carried out to propose the economical and lesser weight thermal design of an aircraft.
1.3 I carried out a thermal analysis of the aircraft by performing the following main tasks:
- Analyzed the impact on aircraft due to differences in the outside and internal ambient environment.
- Studied the effects of solar heating and internal headloads on the aircraft.
- Proposed the modifications to reduce the impact of identified problems on the commercial aircraft i.e. development of the ECS (environment control system).
- Suggested the innovative solutions remove the excessive systemheat or structural temperatures by using a heat sinks mechanism.
- Developed the final report which showed the analysis in detail.
- Involved in the project meetings and managed the project work.
CAREER EPISODE 2
2.1 The second career episode is the description of the major project which was conducted to fulfill the requirement of my Bachelor of Technology in Aeronautical Engineering which was completed from the Institute of Aeronautical Engineering, Dundigal, Hyderabad. The project was under the name of “Airfoil Stall delay using Synthetic Jets” and it was performed within the time frame of Month/Year and Month/Year.
2.2From the past few decades, a lot of research has been done on synthetic jets and currently used in a wide range of applications, i.e. ranging from separation & turbulence control to cooling of electronic and propulsion. Also, such jets are characterized by the fact that they are synthesized entirelyfrom surrounding fluid as well as produce no net mass into an external flow. Fortunately, all these facts haveeradicated the requirementfor fluid circuitry as well as allows compact, self-containeddesigns that integrate both actuation and power and the control electronics. Therefore, in this major project, we have decided to study the behavior of a wing with & without a synthetic jet in the wind tunnel to ensure that a wing made by using synthetic jets will surely have a higher stall angle as compared to the normal wing. Similarly, it would produce delays in the separation of the boundary layer.
2.4 The following duties were assigned to me:
- Performed a literature survey to study the previous researches conducted on the synthetic jet, NACA0015 airfoil, actuators, optimum location of the synthetic jet on the airfoil to control stall, etc.
- Involved in the fabrication and testing of the wing with & without synthetic jet.
- Used the wind tunnel made of teak wood and waterproof plywood to test the developed wing.
- Performed the testing on the wing in the wind tunnel and observed its performance.
- Discussed the experimental results in detail.
- Called frequent team meetings to brainstorm over the complex issues and also discussed the work status.
- Designed the working schedule and also responsible to create the final thesis document.
CAREER EPISODE 3
- The last career episode is based on my eighth-semester mini-project “Aircraft Anti-Hijacking System Using RFIDs” which was conducted to complete the key requirement of my bachelor of technology degree in Aeronautical Engineering from the Institute of Aeronautical Engineering Dundigal, Hyderabad, Telangana. I started working on this project in Month/Year and completed it in Month/Year.
- Nowadays, many types of research have been conducted to develop a system which will prevent the aircraft’s hijacking attempts, and in this need of the hour, we also decided to propose a secure system which will be comprised of Raspberry Pi PC & control program coding written in the Python’s scripting language.With the help of this system, an aircraft’s manual control will get disabled immediately whenever any unusual condition occurred persistently beyond a pre-defined limit. Generally, thiscondition will occur above the predefined time of 10s, and at this point, it will immediately turn on the2 authorized RFID tags and takes the aircraft’s control by triggering an autopilot beyond 10 seconds. Furthermore, this system will also not permit any kind of manual input i.e. disabling ofthe system because this can cause vulnerability.
- I was responsible to perform the following main tasks:
- Studied the techniques previously implemented to eradicate the hijacking problems and how effective they were in terms of preventing the attempts.
- Developed the flowchart which showed the working of the system.
- Selected the components and then assembled them to develop the hijacking system.
- Prepared the required setup and then checked the working of a system by using python codes.
- Tested the system and discussed its results.
- Monitored the activities of my teammates and lend a hand to complete the tasks on time.
- Documented the project details and gave presentations to the supervisor.
- Scheduled the project meetings and also encouraged my team to participate in all meetings discussions.